Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Destroyer
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

DeLong II (Destroyer No. 129)

(DD-129: dp. 1,090; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 8'8"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 100; a. 4 4", 12 21" tt.; cl. Rathburne)

George W. DeLong, born 22 August 1844 in New York City, was appointed Midshipman in the Navy 1 October 1861. Selected to command the Arctic Expedition fitted out by James Gordon Bennett for the attempt to reach the North Pole, Lieutenant Commander DeLong sailed from San Francisco in Jeanette 8 July 1879. Jeanette became embedded in an ice pack from which she never escaped and on 23 March 1882 a rescue expedition discovered the bodies of DeLong's party and brought them back to the United States. TB-28 and DD-129 were named in his honor.

Weldon Fader DeLong, born 18 September 1916 in Baras Corner, Nova Scotia, Canada, enlisted in the Marine Corps 20 September 1940, and served continuously until the time of his death at Point Cruz, Guadalcanal, 3 November 1942. Corporal DeLong was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross for his valor and aggressive leadership in the action during which he lost his life. DE-684 was named in his honor.


The second DeLong (Destroyer No. 129) was launched 29 October 1918 by New York Shipbuilding Co., Camden, N.J.; sponsored by Miss E. DeL. Mills, granddaughter of Lieutenant Commander DeLong; and commissioned 20 September 1919, Lieutenant Commander J. S. Spore in command.

DeLong sailed from New York 3 November 1919, and after joining in exercises at Guantanamo Bay, and patrolling off Honduras arrived at San Diego 24 December. She sailed in maneuvers and torpedo practice off Coronado Roads until placed in reserve 20 June 1920. After extended overhaul at Mare Island Navy Yard, she returned to San Diego 26 June 1921 and began operating from that port 21 October with 50 percent of her complement. On 1 December 1921 she went aground in a heavy fog at Halfmoon Bay. A tug and two destroyers, Badger (DD-126) and Ballard (DD-267), stood by to assist. On 17 December she was salvaged and towed to Mare Island Navy Yard. She was decommissioned 18 March 1922 and her hulk sold 25 September 1922.

Published: Tue Feb 23 15:13:37 EST 2016