(AM-67: dp. 425; l. 136'4"; b. 24'; dr. 9'; s. 10 k.; a. 1 3")
A crested red finch widely known in the eastern United States.
The second Cardinal (AM-67) was built in 1937 by Bath Iron Works Corp., Bath, Maine, as Jeanne D'Arc; acquired by the Navy 19 August 1940; and commissioned 2 November 1940, Lieutenant J. E. Smith, Jr., in command.
Cardinal served in the 5th Naval District for four years, patrolling and sweeping coastal waters from Norfolk, Va., to Cape May, N.J. She was decommissioned at Norfolk 8 September 1944, and transferred to the War Shipping Administration for disposal 29 August 1945.
The construction of Cardinal (AM-393) was cancelled 1 November 1945 before launching.