USS Texas, a 6315-ton second-class battleship, was built at the Norfolk Navy Yard. Commissioned in August 1895, her initial service was spent along the U.S. east and Gulf coasts. During the Spanish-American War, she was active off Cuba and participated in the Battle of Santiago on 3 July 1898.
After the War, Texas continued her western Atlantic operations and was flagship of the Coast Squadron in 1902-05. In 1908, she became the station ship at Charleston, South Carolina. The ship was renamed San Marcos in February 1911. Struck from the Navy List the following October, she was sunk in gunnery tests in Chesapeake Bay.