View of the Academy waterfront area, circa the late 1860s, looking northeast from the tower of New Quarters. The twin-turret monitor moored in the Severn River, at left, is USS Tonawanda (renamed Amphitrite in 1869). Ships at the pier in right center are Constellation, USS Dale and USS Santee. Note the small tug on the beach at left, apparently under construction or undergoing a major overhaul, and the side-wheel steamer at the dock. Compare this view with Photo # NH 2120, showing much the same scene but without the buildings in the lower left. U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.