Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

L39-23.04.03 Building #1 Washington Navy Yard

<p>L39-23.04.03 Building #1 Washington Navy Yard</p><p>&nbsp;</p><div style="left: -10000px; top: 0px; width: 9000px; height: 16px; overflow: hidden; position: absolute;"><div>&nbsp;</div></div>
Title: L39-23.04.03 Building #1 Washington Navy Yard
Caption: "Washington, D.C. ... The Navy Yard Visitor Center. Built in approximately 1838 as the Commandant's Office, the building was used at one time as the first telephone exchange and, after 1947, as the Post Office. In later years, the building was converted to the Officers' Quarters before it became the Visitor Center in 1976."
Description: Building #1 at the Washington Navy Yard as seen in August 1979. It was being used as the Navy Yard's Visitor Center at the time.
Accession #: L39
Catalog #: L39-23.04.03
After this Year: 1970
Before this Year: 1980
Circa this Year: 1979
Related Content
Topic
  • Places-Shore Facilities--Bases-Stations-Labs-Installations
  • Places--U.S.
Document Type
  • Photograph
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
  • Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Location of Archival Materials
  • NHHC