The photographs are organized into two albums (disassembled for preservation reasons) with each image given an item level description (provided by the donor).
The first album contains images onboard USS Augusta (CA-31) circa 1938-1940, with most images likely to have been taken by ship’s photographer, Karl Globus. Subject matter consists of:
- the ship at anchor or viewed at various locations as part of her service in the Asiatic Fleet; view of Italian cruiser Bartolomeo Colleoni with a gunboat alongside (possibly in Shanghai).
- VIP visitors aboard ship: Admiral Harry E. Yarnell and Admiral Naokuni Nomura with staff officers; Chinese businessman T.V. Soong with family and the admiral’s staff; Admiral Hart with the Sultan of Sulu (including various members of the Sultan’s party); and a visit from Siamese officers with the Chief of Staff and Captain Magruder.
-Off ship activities: shore attendance at a war memorial at Siagon; ship’s company in review (on parade grounds); ship’s dance at the 4th Marines Club, Shanghai; the Asiatic Fleet baseball team; and views of photographer Karl Globus at the Great Wall of China.
-Onboard ship activities: holystoning the deck; general cleaning and maintenance; remains of USS Panay victim brought aboard ship and memorial service; Chinese bombardment of Pootung as seen from Augusta; scuttling of river gunboat Monocacy; shell hitting aboard deck (one sailor killed); Admiral Hart in the front seat of the ship’s aircraft; damage to screw and rudder from grounding in Coron Bay, Philippines, March 28, 1940; wrestling matches; athletics awards with Admiral Hart presiding; and Crossing the Line Ceremony activities.
- General group views of the officers and crew; group photo of Admiral Harry E. Yarnell with officers (wearing black armbands)
- Miscellaneous: signed portrait of Admiral Harry E. Yarnell
Pages 1 through 11 of the second album continue aboard USS Augusta and were likely taken by Karl Globus, ship’s photographer. Pages 13 to 23 are primarily from the time Battick was on USS Reuben James. Page 24 photographs are from Battick’s service on USS Marblehead (CL-12). Subject matter consists of:
- Individual images of Frank J.J. Battick in uniform
- Off ship activities and locations: various scenes at Iloilo and Zamboanga, Philippine Islands; “Beer Barge Liberty” off Havana, Cuba; visiting Panama bars and locations; and the crew in Hamilton, Bermuda.
- Aircraft and naval vessels (unidentified) including battleship main batter firing.
- Views aboard USS Reuben James: crewmembers, gunnery practice; scenes aboard during heavy weather; and torpedo recovery.
-Views of USS Reuben James at sea- at Miami, FL; off El Moro, Havana, Cuba; and in the Panama Canal locks
-View of USS Marblehead at sea
-Views aboard USS Marblehead: crewmembers; and salvage of airship USS Akron.
- Views aboard and USS Chaumont (AP-5), April 1939: Crossing the Line Ceremonies (Frank Battick’s wife and son sailed from San Francisco to Shanghai via Honolulu, Guam and Manila onboard USS Chaumont to join Battick on the USS Augusta)