Skip to main content

Bombardment of Fort McHenry

A fort being shelled by ships in the harbor
Description: Engraving, By William Kneass after William Strickland, C. 1815, Framed Dimensions 14H X 16W
Accession #: 65-433-F
Related Content

An earthworks fort was first built on the site during the Revolutionary War, but the stone walls that still remain were built between 1798 and 1803 during the Quasi-War with France as one of series of coastal defenses.

Document Type
  • Art
Wars & Conflicts
  • War of 1812 1812-1815
File Formats
  • Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Location of Archival Materials
  • NHHC