View of Fort Niagara on Lake Ontario from the Light House on the British Side
An important frontier post in northwestern New York, its possession was disputed by both sides in the American Revolution and the War of 1812. During the Revolution, it was occupied by the British until the signing of the Jay Treaty in 1796. The British recaptured it in 1813 and again returned it by treaty in 1815.
Wars & Conflicts
- War of 1812 1812-1815
- Image (gif, jpg, tiff)
Location of Archival Materials