Skip to main content
Related Content
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials
Marine Lynx

(T‑AP‑194: dp. 10,210; l. 524'; b. 72'; dr. 26'; a. 17 k.; trp. 3,674; a. none; T. C4‑S‑A3; cl. Marine Adder)

A merchant name retained.

Marine Lynx (T‑AP‑194) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract by Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash., 9 December 1944; launched 17 July 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Henry Broderick; and delivered to her operator, Moore‑McCormack Lines, Inc., 22 October 1945.

Following the end of World War II, Marine Lynx steamed throughout the Pacific to carry occupation troops to the Far East and to return veterans of the Pacific campaigns to the United States. Departing Portland 3 December, she carried troops to Japan and returned to the west coast 4 January 1946. During February and March she cruised out of San Francisco to the Marianas and back; and, after transferring to Matson Navigation Co., 17 April, she departed the 23d on a troop run in the South Pacific. She touched at ports in the Fiji Islands and in Australia; returned to the west coast in June; and in 1947 entered the Maritime Commission Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, Calif.

Following the outbreak of Communist aggression In South Korea, Marine Lynx was acquired by the Navy from the Maritime Commission 23 July 1950; placed in service; and assigned to duty with MSTS. Manned by a civil service crew, she served throughout the years of the Korean conflict carrying U.S. troops to Japan and the war‑torn Korean peninsula. Between mid‑December 1950 and 20 August 1954 she deployed to the Far East out of Seattle, Wash., 22 times. She debarked combat‑ready troops at Yokohama and Sasebo, Japan, and at Pusan and Inchon, South Korea. After the establishment of the uneasy truce 27 July 1953, she cruised primarily to return veterans of the U.N. police action In Korea to the United States.

On 25 August 1954 Marine Lynx sailed once more for the turbulent waters of the Far East. Steaming via Yokosuka, Japan, she reached Haiphong, French Indochina, 13 September and began duty in the U.S. Navy's Operation "Passage‑to‑Freedom." As part of the mighty peacekeeping force of U.S. seapower in that troubled area of the world, she continued to support the forces for freedom in the incessant struggle against the menace of Asian communism. After embarking Vietnamese refugees who were fleeing the tyranny and oppression of the Communist dominated north, she departed Haiphong 18 September and carried her passengers to Saigon where they could begin a new life of freedom in Southeast Asia. During the next 2 months she completed six round trips between northern and southern Vietnam while carrying refugees, French troops, and military supplies to Saigon, Tourane, and Nha Trang. She completed her duty 23 November; sailed to Japan 30 November; and returned to Seattle 4 to 16 December.

Marine Lynx remained at Seattle and was placed in reduced operational status from 11 May 1955 to 4 June 1956. Resuming her Far East service, she departed Seattle 14 June 1956 and arrived Inchon 28 June. There she embarked U.S. peacekeeping troops and between 29 June and 15 July carried them to San Francisco. She returned to Seattle 16 to 18 July and returned to reserve operational status 25 July. On 1 May 1958 she transferred permanently to the Maritime Administration and was berthed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Astoria, Oreg. Her name was struck from the Navy list the same day. Marine Lynx was sold to Hudson Waterways Corp., 4 August 1967, converted to a cargo ship, and renamed Transcolumbia.

Marine Lynx received seven battle stars for Korean service.

Published: Wed Aug 05 15:43:53 EDT 2015