Skip to main content
Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Destroyer
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Everett F. Larson (DD-830)

(DD-830: dp. 2,425; l. 390'6"; b. 41'1"; dr. 18'6"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 367; a. 6 5", 5 21" tt., 6 dcp., 2 dct; cl. Gearing)

Everett Frederick Larson, born 3 September 1920 in Stamford, Conn., enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve 13 January 1942. Serving on Guadalcanal, Private First Class Larson was killed in action 8 October 1942, while attempting to swim the Matankiau River under heavy enemy fire to rescue a wounded comrade. He was posthumously awarded the Silver Star for this selfless courage, and shared in the Presidential Unit Citation awarded his division for its actions on Guadalcanal.


The name Everett F. Larson was assigned to DE-554 on 30 November 1943, canceled on 10 June 1944, and reassigned to DD-830 on 10 July 1944.


Everett F. Larson (DD-830) was launched 28 January 1945 by Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine; sponsored by Mrs. H. Larson, mother of Private First Class Larson; and commissioned 6 April 1945, Commander H. Meyers in command. She was reclassified DDR-830 on 18 March 1949.

Everett F. Larson sailed from Boston 1 August 1945 for the Pacific, and on 29 September arrived at Tokyo Bay. During her lengthy occupation service, she participated in the landing of Marines at Taku, China, in October 1945, and in Operation "Road's End," the sinking of 24 captured Japanese submarines in April 1946. She put in to San Diego, Calif., 21 December, bound for Newport, R.I., her assigned home port, where she arrived 19 March 1947.

During her 9 years with the Atlantic Fleet, Everett F. Larson completed seven tours of duty with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean, patrolling the Near East during the crisis over the Palestine partition and joining in NATO training cruises in 1948 and 1955, and participated in antisubmarine warfare activities off the east coast, as well as training in the Caribbean.

On 28 June 1956, Everett F. Larson arrived at Long Beach, Calif., her home port for duty in the Pacific Fleet. Operations off the coast of California, and north to Seattle, prepared her for deployments to the Far East in 1957, 1958, 1959, and 1960. During these she served on patrol duty off Taiwan, exercised off Okinawa and in the Philippines, and acted as escort and plane guard for the carriers of TF 77. Outward bound for her 1958 tour, she called at Pago Pago, Samoa, and Auckland, New Zealand.

Everett F. Larson's last eastern Pacific operation prior to her 1960 deployment to the western Pacific was as a unit of the U.S. First Fleet passing in review in the annual "Great White Fleet Review", in September 1960, in San Francisco Bay.

Published: Wed Jul 08 08:50:13 EDT 2015