Reserve squadron VF921 called to active duty on 1 February 1951
Redesignated VF-84 on 4 February 1953
Redesignated VA-86 on 1 July 1955
Redesignated VFA-86 on 15 July 1987
Insignia approved: 7 April 1954*
* This is the formal approval date for VF-84's insignia. On 23 September 1955 CNO approved the use of the old VF-84 insignia by VA-86 following its redesignation. The squadron continued to use the insignia following its redesignation to VFA-86.