LST-726 was laid down on 26 July 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 6 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Ora M. Armstrong; and commissioned on 30 September 1944.
During World War II, LST-726 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Iwo Jima in February 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. Following the war, LST-726 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 25 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. The ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., on 5 December 1947 for scrapping.
LST-726 earned two battle stars for World War II service.