Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials
LST-162

LST-162 was laid down on 24 July 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 3 February 1943; sponsored by Miss Marian Shapiro; and commissioned on 15 March 1943. The tank landing ship never saw active service with the United States Navy. She was decommissioned on 22 March 1943 and transferred to the United Kingdom. The ship was returned to United States Navy custody on 1 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. She was sold to Luria Brothers and Co., Inc., of Philadelphia, Pa., on 9 October 1947 for scrapping.