(AMc-67: dp. 200 (f.); l. 97'1"; b. 22'; dr. 9'0" (mean); s. 10 k.; cpl. 19; a. 2 .50 cal. mg.; cl. Accentor)
An adjective indicating daring and intrepidity.
The first Bold (AMc-67) was laid down on 27 August 1941 at South Bristol, Maine, by the Bristol Yacht Building Co.; launched on 2 April 1942; sponsored by Miss Ella E. Gamage; delivered to the Navy on 18 May 1942; fitted out at the Boston Navy Yard; and placed in service there on 27 May 1942.
Bold sailed for Yorktown, Va., on 12 June and arrived there the following day. The coastal minesweeper reported to the Mine Warfare Training School and conducted two weeks of training there before being detached to proceed to the 6th Naval District. She operated locally out of Charleston, S.C., for the duration of World War II. Bold was placed out of service on 27 December 1945 and berthed in the Wando River. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 21 January 1946. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal on 22 July 1946.
Robert J. Cressman
31 January 2006