"Island of Marcou, with a distant view of the French coast near Cape La Hogue." Stipple engraving, by Wells after Francis Gibson. Published in the "Naval Chronicle," vol. 8, 1802, by J. Gold, London. Note: the date, 31 December 1803, in the credit line is incorrect. The engraving was actually published on that day in 1802. Marcou, a fortified place just off the French coast, was taken by the English early in the wars of the French Revolution. On 7 May 1798, its garrison successfully resisted an attack by a large force of gunboats from La Hogue.
Naval History and Heritage Command
Engraving by Wells, after Francis Gibson.