The name source of the first Lynx is most likely any of a group of wildcats found throughout the Northern Hemisphere, most commonly known as the bobcat or wildcat; the second Lynx (S. P. 2) retained the name she carried at the time of her acquisition by the Navy; and the third Lynx (AK‑100) was named for a northern constellation between Auriga and Ursa Major.
(S. P. 2: tonnage 7; length 45'; beam 10'6"; draft 3'; speed 25 knots; complement 8; armament 1 1‑pounder)
Lynx -- a twin-screw wooden hull motorboat built in 1916 by George Lawley & Sons Corp., Neponset, Mass. and inspected at Boston, Mass., on 26 August 1916 -- was purchased by the Navy from Nathaniel F. Ayer, of Boston, on 21 April 1917; and commissioned on 9 July 1917, Ens. Arthur A. Thayer, USNRF, in command.
Lynx served as a patrol boat in the Second Naval District, Newport, until sailing to Europe for aviation duty abroad, having been assigned to that duty on 31 August 1917. Returning to the New York Navy Yard on 30 March 1919 on board the Naval Overseas Transportation Service cargo ship Sagahadoc (Id. No. 3311), Lynx was condemned to be burned after a survey and an appraisal on 24 May 1919. Lynx was stricken from the Naval Register 24 August 1919, and was burned on 4 September 1919.