(AK-62: dp. 679; l. 193'; b. 35'8"; dr. 13'8" ; s. 12.k.; a. 4 20mm.)
A former name retained.
Kopara (AK-62) was built in 1938 by Richardson Co., Ltd., Napier, New Zealand; purchased in early August 1942 from her owner, Henry Robb, Ltd., Auckland, New Zealand, through the New Zealand Government; and commissioned 21 September 1942 at Auckland, Lt. (j.g.) H. R. Greeley in command.
Reclassified as AG-50 on 23 September, Kopara departed Auckland 5 October for supply runs from Noumea, New Caledonia, and Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides, to
Guadalcanal and Tulagi, Solomons. Arriving Noumea 9 October, she steamed on the 14th for Espiritu Santo to take on board supplies for the embattled American force on Guadalcanal. Loaded with torpedoes and general cargo and escorted by Nicholas (DD-449), she departed 19 October. Kopara arrived Lunga Roads during mid\ watch 22 October and began unloading operations which were completed that evening despite harassing gunfire from enemy shore batteries and a noon attack by Japanese dive bombers. Protected by Nicholas, Kopara departed Guadalcanal undamaged and returned to Noumea 27 October.
During the next few months, Kopara continued supply runs to the Solomons; and, while she unloaded at Guadalcanal and Tulagi 13 through 15 November, American battleships, cruisers, and destroyers fought the enemy in two fierce night naval battles off Savo Island. From 20 February to 26 June 1943, she carried cargo along the sea lanes between Auckland, Noumea, Efate, and Espiritu Santo. And from 11 July to 17 September she shuttled supplies between New Zealand and Norfolk Island.
After a voyage to the New Hebrides, Kopara departed Noumea 10 November to resume supply duty in the Solomons. She reached New Georgia 16 November; and, for almost 8 months, ranged the waters of Melanesia from Bougainville to New Caledonia bringing supplies to forces which loosened the enemy's hold on the Bismarck Archipelago and New Guinea. Returning to New Caledonia 7 August 1944, she began supply runs eastward out of Noumea. Between 10 August and 21 December she made four voyages to Fiji, American Samoa, and the Ellice Islands. She departed Noumea 24 December and steamed via Norfolk Island to Auckland 3 January 1945. Kopara decommissioned 12 January and was turned over to the New Zealand Joint Purchasing Board for return to her previous owner.
Kopara received one battle star for World War II service.