Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Katydid (S. P. 95)

(SP-95: t.10; l. 40'; b. 9'2"; dr. 3'4"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 7; a. 1 1-pdr.)

Katydid was built in 1912 at New Rochelle, N.Y., by William Hoff and was purchased by the Navy from Arnold G. Dana 27 March 1917. The wooden motor boat was assigned to section patrol in the 3d Naval District 4 April and commissioned 10 May, Chief Boatswain's Mate Asher A. Howell in command. In 1917 she operated in New York Harbor and nearby waters serving as launch to Wasp and President Grant. Subsequently, she sailed for France. She was laid up 9 December 1919 and transferred to the War Department 18 February 1920 for service with the Army Ordnance Department at Neville Island, Pa.

Published: Mon Feb 08 15:21:42 EST 2016