(SP-52: t. 19; l. 50'; b. 10'2"; dr. 2'3"; s. 27 k.; a. 11-pdr.)
A former name retained.
Grey Fox, a yacht, was built by Robert F. Smith & Sons in 1916 ; was purchased from St. George Barber of Chesterfield, Md., at Annapolis, Md., and commissioned 27 May 1917, Chief Machinist N. N. Tonest in command.
Grey Fox was used by the 5th Naval District at Norfolk as a harbor dispatch vessel and as a public Works Officer's boat under the direction of the Joint Board for Control of War Construction Activities. She was laid up in ordinary at the submarine base, Norfolk Naval Operating Base, 6 June 1919. Grey Fox was intended for use by the War Department Ordnance Salvage Board in the York and James Rivers, but was found to be in need of extensive repairs and was sold at Norfolk to William Thewes 18 February 1920.