(AP: dp. 22,400 (f.); l. 580'; b. 60'2"; dr. 31'4"; s. 16 k.; cpl. 414; a. 4 4", 2 1-pdr.)
Former name retained.
Finland was launched by W. Cramp and Son, Philadelphia, Pa., in 1902 for the International Mercantile Marine Co., chartered by the Army Transport Service on 3 June 1917, and employed in carrying cargo and troops to Europe. On 24 April 1918 she was delivered to the Navy, designated a Troop Transport, and commissioned 26 April, Commander W. J. Giles, in command.
Finland made 13 round trips from the United States to Europe in this capacity, transporting 12,864 troops to France and returning 28,000 personnel to the United States. On 4 September 1919 she was transferred to the 3d Naval District and on 15 November decommissioned and delivered to the War Department.