(DE-531: dp. 1,350; l. 306'; b. 36'8"; dr. 9'5"; s. 24 k.; cpl. 186; a. 2 5", 3 21" tt., 8 dcp., 1 dcp.(hh.), 2 dct.; cl. John C. Butler)
Edward Henry Allen born 2 March 1908 in Pekin, N.D., graduated from the Naval Academy in 1931. Serving with Scouting Squadron 2 in Lexington (CV-2), Lieutenant Allen was reported missing 7 May 1942 when his plane was shot down by enemy aircraft during the Battle of the Coral Sea. He was awarded a Navy Cross for the defense of his carrier 20 February 1942 and a Gold Star in lieu of a second Navy Cross for the action in which he lost his life.
Edward H. Allen (DE-531) was launched 7 October 1943 by Boston Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. David H. Clark; and commissioned 16 December 1943, Lieutenant Commander M. M. Sanford in command.
Edward H. Allen sailed from Boston 6 March 1944 for Miami to serve as schoolship for precommissioning crews of escort vessels. She had similar duty at Norfolk from June to November 1944, then returned to Miami until 10 June 1945. She was at Casco Bay preparing for service in the Pacific when the war ended, and remained there for experimental operations. After spending Navy Day at Boston, Edward H. Allen sailed to Green Cove Springs, Fla., where she was placed out of commission in reserve 10 May 1946.
Recommissioned 26 February 1951 Edward H. Allen was assigned to the 3d Naval District and cruised from New York to Florida, Bermuda, and the Caribbean in connection with the Naval Reserve training program. From 13 June to 10 July 1953 and again from 17 June to 15 July 1955 she made extended cruises, visiting ports in France, Portugal, England, Spain, and the Azores. While at sea in July 1956 she was ordered to the scene of the tragic collision of the liners Andrea Doria and Stockholm and rescued the captain and 76 of the Doria crew before she sank. For her assistance, the destroyer was thanked by the Italian Government and her commanding officer awarded the Italian Legion of Merit. Edward H. Allen continued her training duty until again placed out of commission in reserve 9 January 1958.