Skip to main content
Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Support Ships
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials
(APA-96: dp. 8,100; l. 492'; b. 69'6"; dr. 26'6"; s. 18 k.; cpl. 575; a. 2 5"; cl. Bay field)


A county in Maryland.

The contract for the building of Cecil (APR-4) was cancelled 12 March 1943.

Cecil (APA-96) was launched as Sea Angler by Western Pipe and Steel Co., San Francisco, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. S. Belither; acquired by the Navy 26 February 1944; placed in reduced commission 27 February 1944; converted at Continental Iron Works, Portland, Oreg.; and placed in full commission 15 September 1944, Captain P. G. Hale in command.

Cecil cleared San Francisco 26 November 1944 for amphibious training in the Hawaiians, and preparations for the invasion of Iwo Jima at Eniwetok and Saipan. She cleared Saipan with her task group 16 February, and 3 days later, took position off Iwo Jima for the initial assault. As naval and air bombardment pounded the island, her men skillfully played their part. Remaining off the hard-fought beaches, Cecil completed unloading troops, cargo, and vehicles, and embarked casualties, with whom she sailed 28 February to Saipan.

Cecil continued on to Tulagi and Espiritu Santo, where she loaded men and cargo of the 27th Infantry. On 9 April 1945, she landed these reinforcements through high surf on Okinawa. She remained for a week continuing her unloading under enemy air attacks, aiding in fighting them off as she loaded and landed her boats. On 16 April she got underway for Saipan and Ulithi, where she received minor repairs and replenished. On 21 May, Cecil arrived in Subic Bay, P.I., for transport and training duty until 27 August, when she departed Luzon with troops and cargo of the 1st Cavalry, bound for occupation duty in Japan.

Cecil called at Yokohama from 2 to 4 September 1945, then returned to the Philippines to load more occupation troops. On the return passage to Japan, she was ordered into Okinawa from 25 September to 3 October to avoid a threatening typhoon, then proceeded on to disembark her troops at Aki Nada. She sailed to San Pedro, Calif., for a minor overhaul in November, then made another voyage to the Philippines to return men and equipment to San Pedro 22 January 1946. In March she sailed to Norfolk, Va., where she was decommissioned 24 May 1946, and returned to the Maritime Commission the next day.

Cecil received two battle stars for World War II service.

Published: Tue Jun 30 09:33:53 EDT 2015