(AG-35: dp. 357; l. 165'; b. 25'3"; dr. 13'2"; s. 16 k.; cl. Potomac)
In Greek mythology, Calypso, daughter of Atlas, detained the ship-wrecked Ulysses on the isle of Ogygia.
The third Calypso (AG-35) was launched 6 January 1932 for the Coast Guard by Bath Iron Works Corp., Bath, Maine; transferred from the Coast Guard to the Navy 17 May 1941; commissioned the same day, Chief Boatswain J. H. Keevers in command.
Calypso was based at the Washington Navy Yard as a tender to her sister ship, the Presidential yacht Potomac (AG-25). In this capacity, her operations were confined largely to the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay until 22 July 1941, when she put out for a cruise to Nova Scotia. During a portion of this cruise she had on board President Franklin D. Roosevelt, bound for the famous Atlantic Conference in Argentia Bay, Newfoundland, with Prime Minister Winston Churchill of Great Britain. Her other movements were to provide cover for the President's travels. Returning to Washington 23 August, Calypso was decommissioned 20 January 1942 and returned to the Coast Guard.