Skip to main content
Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Frigate
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Jobb (DE-707)

(DE-707: dp. 1,450; l. 306'; b. 36'10"; dr. 9'8"; s. 24k.; cpl. 186; a. 2 5", 4 40mm., 10 20mm., 3 21" tt, 2 det, 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (h.h.); cl. Rudderow)

Richard Patrick Jobb, born in McCormick, Wash., 17 March 1920, enlisted in the Navy 28 February 1942. He was at Guadalcanal for America's first amphibious operation of the Pacific War. Hearing a call of a patrol subjected to enemy fire near the Namara River 26 January 1943, Pharmacist's Mate Third Class Jobb rushed forward 150 yards through intense enemy fire to aid the wounded. He continued to dress casualties under fire until he was himself hit and killed. For his courageous devotion to duty Jobb was posthumously awarded the Silver Star.

Jobb (DE-707) was laid down by Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich., 20 December 1943; launched 4 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. S. L. Jobb, mother of Pharmacist's Mate Third Class Jobb; and commissioned at New Orleans 4 July 1944, Lt. Comdr. Herbert M. Jones in command.

Following her shakedown training off Bermuda, Jobb was assigned to a hunter-killer patrol group in the Atlantic. A hurricane forced her back to Norfolk 13-15 September, after which she steamed to New York to prepare for Pacific service. Jobb sailed 23 October and proceeded via the Panama Canal and Bora Bora to Humboldt Bay, New Guinea 21 November. With the invasion of the Philippines then underway, Jobb escorted a convoy to Leyte Gulf 28 November. She remained at Leyte until 12 December, when she screened a slow tow convoy for Mindoro. Next day Japanese snooper aircraft appeared, followed by bombers. In the raids of the next few days, Jobb's gunners shot down at least two of the attackers. After seeing the tows safely to Mindoro, she next sailed via Leyte to New Guinea, where she arrived Hollandia 28 December.

The ship joined a convoy for newly assaulted Lingayen Gulf 8 January 1945; but, after striking a reef in the Philippines 16 January, she returned to Leyte Gulf for repairs. Following further work on her propellers at Manus, Jobb returned to the Philippines in February to escort convoys carrying troops and supplies. During these critical months, she protected support convoys to Palawan, Mindoro, and Mindanao as the conquest of the Philippines proceeded apace.

Jobb departed Morotai 4 June to take part in the landings at Brunei Bay, Borneo. She patrolled as troops went ashore 10 June and captured the strategic Bay without opposition. Later in the month, she screened a resupply convoy from Morotai. She arrived Leyte 8 July for repairs before conducting antisubmarine patrol between the Philippines and Ulithi until the close of hostilities.

The veteran ship steamed to Okinawa 23 August and in the months that followed operated between the various island bases in support of the occupation and reorganization of the Pacific area. Jobb arrived Pearl Harbor 31 December and reached San Francisco 9 January 1946. She later moved to San Diego, decommissioned 13 May 1946, and entered the Pacific Reserve Fleet. At present she is berthed at Stockton, Calif.

Jobb received three battle stars for World War II service.

Published: Wed Apr 20 22:17:47 EDT 2016