(AP: t. 3,737; l. 403'; b. 51'3"; dr. 19'; s. 22 k.; cpl. 211)
A masculine proper name.
Charles (No. 1298) was built in 1907 by Delaware River Shipbuilding Co., Chester, Pa., as Harvard; commandeered by the Navy 21 March 1918 (purchased 28 August 1918) ; outfitted as a transport at Mare Island Navy Yard; and commisisoned 9 April 1918, Lieutenant Comander M. F. Tarpey, USNRF, in command. Two days later she was renamed Charles.
Reaching Hampton Roads from Mare Island 26 June 1918, Charles loaded troops and sailed from Newport News for Brest, France, 10 July. She arrived 21 July, and on 27 July reported at Southampton, England, for duty as a cross-channel ferry for troops. Charles made about 60 voyages between Southampton and Le Havre or Boulogne, carrying troops of all nationalities, bound for action at the front, or for occupation duty, until 5 May 1919.
Charles embarked passengers for transportation to the United States at Rotterdam and Brest, and on 15 June 1919, arrived at New York City. Her support of Army operations in Europe at an end, the transport sailed into the Philadelphia Navy Yard 24 July, and there was decommisisoned 10 June 1920. Renamed Harvard 29 July 1920, she was sold 14 October 1920.