The Navy retained the name carried by this vessel at the time of her acquisition.
(S. P. 133: tonnage 184 (gross); length 152'0"; beam 21'6"; draft 11' (aft); speed 10 knots; complement 62; armament 2 6-pounders, 2 machine guns)
Zara (S. P. 133), a steam yacht built in 1891 at Paisley, Scotland, by Fleming & Ferguson, was purchased by the Navy from Mr. David H. Friedman of New York on 27 April 1917 and commissioned at New York on 22 May 1917.
Assigned to the section patrol in the Third Naval District, Zara cruised the waters of Long Island Sound for almost a year. Placed out of commission on 13 April 1918 and put up for sale, and her name stricken from the Navy list on 1 May 1918, the ship was retained to serve as guard vessel at White Stone near the western entrance to Long Island Sound.
Ultimately, Zara was sold on 13 September 1919 to an unrecorded buyer.