Skip to main content
Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Frigate
  • Boats-Ships--Destroyer
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Lloyd (DD-209)

(DE-209; dp. 1,400; l. 306'; b. 36'10"; dr. 915"; s. 24 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 4 1.1", 8 20mm., 3 21" tt., 8 dcp., 2 dct., 1 dcp. (h.h.); cl. Buckley)

William Rees Lloyd, born 23 September 1916 in Monticello, Fla., enlisted in the Navy 9 October 1940. He was appointed midshipman 15 December 1940 and commissioned ensign 14 March 1941.

Ensign Lloyd served briefly aboard Luzon, then reported to Oahu 26 September 1941. He was killed in action 6 May 1942 when Oahu was sunk at Corregidor at the close of a long and gallant defense.

Lloyd (DE-209) was laid down 26 July 1943 by the Navy Yard, Charleston, S.C., launched 23 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Ella Lee Lloyd, mother of Ensign Lloyd; and commissioned 11 February 1944, Lt. Comdr. Peter N. Gammelgard in command.

After shakedown off Bermuda, the new destroyer escort left Norfolk 12 May 1944 with 13 other DEs and a convoy of 100 transport ships bound for north Africa. The British relieved the escort ships at Bizerte, Tunisia, on I June; 9 days later Lloyd and her sister ships departed to escort another convoy on the westward passage home. While en route, Lloyd was reclassified APD-63 5 July. 1944 and ordered to report to the Philadelphia Navy Yard on 29 June for conversion to a high-speed transport.

Three months later, after conversion and shakedown, Lloyd steamed for the Pacific war zones, touched Bora Bora, Society Islands, 20 October, and arrived Hollandia, New Guinea, 4 November. Soon thereafter she became the permanent flagship for Transport Division 103.

Moving to Leyte 23 November, for the next 5 months Lloyd transported invasion troops, as the Allies completed the Philippine liberation. In her first action 7 December, the new transport ship landed troops at Ormoc on the western coast of Leyte. Ten days later she took part in the daring strike at Mindoro, the Japanese-held island 500 miles northwest of Leyte. After Mindoro she steamed via Leyte to Hollandia to embark troops for the assault at Lingayen Gulf in northern Luzon. Departing New Guinea 4 January 1945, she landed her troops at Lingayen a week later. That afternoon the transport's guns knocked out an enemy shore battery. The next day Lloyd departed and fought her way back to Leyte, splashing four enemy suicide planes during the 3-day passage.

During February the ship took part in the assaults on San Felipe and Subic Bay. On the 28th, she brought troops from Mindoro to help liberate the island of Palawan, a vital stepping stone to Borneo. Another gateway to Borneo, Mindanao, ignored as the Navy leapfrogged to Leyte and Luzon, now had to be secured. Jumping off from Mindoro 8 March, 2 days later Lloyd put troops ashore to liberate Zamboanga on the westernmost tip of Mindanao, then steamed to Leyte that evening.

Following repairs and patrol duty off Leyte during April, the ship shifted operations to Morotai 7 May to participate in the liberation of Borneo. From 28 May to 19 June, she assisted the amphibious forces landing at Brunei Bay on the western coast of Borneo. During early July, Lloyd twice ferried reinforcements from Morotai to the landings at Balikpapan on the eastern coast.

In the last weeks of the war, the ship trained Army troops in amphibious warfare, then after V-J Day transported occupation units from Okinawa to Korea. She departed Okinawa for Pearl Harbor 26 November 1945, en route to the east coast to join the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. She reached the Brooklyn Navy Yard 2 January 1946. Following a month in drydock, she steamed to Green Cove Springs, Fla., and decommissioned there 1 July 1946.

Under the demands of the Korean war, Lloyd recommissioned 3 January 1951, Lt. Comdr. A. A. Sullivan in command. After shakedown in Chesapeake Bay and availability at the Boston Naval Shipyard. she reported to Little Creek, Va., 26 September for local training duty with the Naval Amphibious Base. From April through October she operated with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean.

From 1953 through 1957 the high speed transport continned to operate with the marines out of Little Creek. During this period she often operated in the Caribbean and visited most of the ports along the eastern seaboard.

Lloyd decommissioned 18 February 1958 at Charleston, S.C., and rejoined the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. She was struck from the Navy list 1 June 1966 and sold for scrap.

Published: Wed Apr 13 13:20:01 EDT 2016