A short iron cannon.
Carronade (IFS-1) was launched 26 May 1953 by Puget Sound Bridge & Dredging Co., Seattle, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. L. Herndon; and commissioned 25 May 1955, Lieutenant Commander D. 0. Doran in command.
Carronade departed Bremerton for her home port, San Diego, 21 July 1955. She arrived 24 July, and was inspected by Secretary of the Navy C. S. Thomas on 26 July. The first ship of her design, Carronade carried out extensive training in the San Diego area until 19 March 1956 when she sailed to Pearl Harbor for a month of operations. Returning to San Diego for local exercises she made a good-will visit to Vancouver, B.C. (20 Au-gust-1 September), and then participated in amphibious exercises demonstrating the effectiveness of the inshore fire support ship (November 1956-January 1957).
Carronade resumed local operations, upkeep and overhaul in the San Diego area until a tour of Far Eastern duty (18 January-15 July 1958). She returned to the west coast and local operations the autumn of 1959 when she departed on another cruise to the Orient. Sailing back to San Diego in February 1960, Carronade remained there and was decommissioned and placed in reserve on 31 May 1960.