(AK: dp. 10,505 (n.); l. 391'9"; b. 52'; dr. 23'10"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 62; a.1 6")
Cape Henry on the coast of Virginia was the landing place of the first permanent English settlers in the new world.
Cape Henry (No. 3056), a cargo ship, was launched 30 March 1918 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrows Point, Md.; transferred to the Navy 25 October 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander F. B. Rice, USNRF, in command.
After repairs and conversion by Robins Drydock Co., Brooklyn, N.Y., Cape Henry sailed from New York 7 December 1918 with supplies for the Army of Occupation in Europe, which she delivered at Quiberon Bay and St. Nazaire, France. She returned to New York 20 February 1919, was decommissioned 3 March 1919, and returned to the Shipping Board the same day.