A county in Texas.
(APA-224: displacement 14,833; length 455'; beam 62'; draft 28'1"; speed 17 knots; complement 536; troops 1,562; armament 1 5-inch, 12 40 millimeter; class Haskell; type VC2-S-AP5)
Randall (APA-224), built under Maritime Commission contract (MCV hull 572), was laid down 15 September 1944 by the Permanente Metals Corp., Yard No. 2, Richmond, Calif.; launched 15 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Donald D. Dick; and acquired by the Navy and commissioned 16 December 1944, Capt. Harold R. Stevens in command.
Following shakedown and training off the California coast, Randall departed San Diego, 9 February 1945, for Pearl Harbor, whence, after further training, she sailed on 2 March via Eniwetok for the Volcano Islands. Arriving at Iwo Jima on 25 March, she discharged Army passengers and cargo and embarked Marines for transportation to Guam. On 20 April she returned to Pearl Harbor, thence carried drummed petroleum products to Kwajalein where she took on Navy and Marine personnel for return to the United States. Arriving at San Francisco 18 June, she sailed, 9 July, for Ulithi, embarked Army units, then continued on to Okinawa, arriving 12 August.
With the end of World War II, Randall was assigned to occupation duty and on 5 September got underway for Korea with units of the 7th Army Division. Returning to Okinawa, she carried Marines to Taku, 26-30 September, then, after a run to the Philippines, sailed again for the China coast. Between 22 October and 23 November, she ferried Chinese troops from Kowloon [sic; Kwoloon] to Chinwangtao and Tsingtao and on the 29th departed the Far East on her first "Magic Carpet" run carrying Army Air Corps units from Okinawa to Seattle.
Detached from "Magic Carpet" duty in August 1946, Randall was employed in the Pacific Fleet's amphibious training program from September until December when she returned to the east coast, underwent overhaul, and was briefly immobilized at New York. She then steamed to Norfolk, arriving 24 April 1947. Assigned again to amphibious training duties, she operated along the southeastern seaboard until August 1948 when she steamed north for operations off eastern Canada. In September she resumed exercises off the Virginia and Carolina coasts.
In February 1949 she again departed the eastern seaboard this time for Caribbean operations, and during the fall steamed back into the Pacific for exercises as far west as Hawaii, returning to Norfolk and resuming training operations with Naval Reservists and Marines, 1 December.
For the next 5 years she continued such training operations along the east coast, in the Caribbean, and twice, March-July 1951 and May-October 1954, in the Mediterranean. At the end of 1955 Randall was ordered inactivated and on 25 January 1956 she arrived at Orange, Tex., to join the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Decommissioned 6 April 1956, she remained in reserve at Orange until transferred to the Maritime Administration's National Defense Reserve Fleet at Mobile in February 1960. Her name was struck from the Navy list 1 July 1960. She was berthed at Mobile until sold in 1971.
16 September 2005