(AM‑264: dp. 625; l. 184'6"; b. 33'; dr. 9'9"; s. 15 k.; cpl. 104; 1 3"; 4 40mm.; cl. Admirable)
General word classification.
Method (AM‑264) was laid down 7 June 1943 by the American Ship Building Co., Lorain, Ohio; launched 23 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. K. C. Thorton; and commissioned 10 July 1944, Lt. M. A. Cartwright in command.
Method departed Lorain, Ohio, 12 July, and steamed via the St. Lawrence to Little Creek, Va. Arriving there 19 August she underwent shakedown training and oil 27 September headed north to Casco Bay, Maine, for abbreviated antisubmarine warfare training. Thence, as a unit of MinDiv 37, she turned her bow south and on 5 October arrived at Port Royal Bay, Bermuda. She remained at that western terminus of the southern convoy route until 8 November when she got underway for Norfolk, Va. There, for a month and a half, she conducted patrols and minesweeping operations and towed targets.
At the end of December Method reported for duty with TF 29, joining MinDiv 31. On 15 January 1945 she cleared Hampton Roads, as escort to a gasoline tanker bound for Navassa Island. Detached from that duty on the 20th, she continued on to Panama, transited the Canal on the 24th and arrived at San Diego 2 February to report for duty with the Western Sea Frontier. In midmonth she steamed north to Washington where she operated with the strait of Juan de Fuca Defense Unit before continuing on, 26 March, to her ultimate destination, Cold Bay, Alaska. Arriving 4 April, she trained naval personnel of the U.S.S.R. in preparation for the transfer of the ship to that country under the terms of the lend‑lease agreement.
On 20 May 1945, with the lowering of the American flag, Method decommissioned and was recommissioned as a ship of the Navy of the U.S.S.R. On 7 February 1955 she was redesignated in the Naval Register as MSF‑264. As of 1969, Method had neither been returned nor purchased by the U.S.S.R.