McCawley I (Destroyer No. 276)
(DD‑276: dp. 1,190; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'3"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 120; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" tt.; cl. Clemson)
Col. Charles G. McCawley, USMC, born at Philadelphia, Pa., 29 January 1827, was appointed a second lieutenant in the Marine Corps 3 March 1847. He took part in the storming of Chapultepec and the capture of Mexico City during the Mexican War. He was brevetted first lieutenant 13 September 1847, for gallantry in those actions. In the Civil War, he aided in the capture of Port Royal, S.C., 7 November 1861 and led a detachment of 200 Marines to reoccupy the Norfolk Navy Yard, May 1862. He subsequently commanded Marine detachments during operations in Charleston Harbor against Forts Wagner, Gregg, and Sumter. For gallant and meritorious conduct during the boat attack on the latter fort, 8 September 1863, he was brevetted major. In 1876 he was appointed colonel commandant, the highest post in the Marine Corps, and served in that position until he retired in 1891. Colonel McCawley died at Philadelphia, 13 October 1891.
McCawley (Destroyer No. 276) was laid down 5 November 1918 by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass.; launched 14 June 1919; sponsored by Miss Eleanor Laurie McCawley, granddaughter of Colonel McCawley; and commissioned 22 September 1919, Lt. (jg.) H. E. Haynes, in command.
Following an east coast fitting out and shakedown period, McCawley sailed for San Diego where she joined Destroyer Squadron 2, later DesRon 4, Pacific Fleet. She participated in local exercises off the west coast until she decommissioned at San Diego 7 June 1922.
On 27 September 1923, McCawley recommissioned and was again assigned to the Pacific Fleet. For the next 6 years she operated there, taking part in various fleet problems in addition to local and squadron training exercises. With two exceptions, during 1924 and 1927 when she steamed to the Caribbean for fleet problems, she spent the entire period in operations along the west coast, from San Diego to Puget Sound, and in Hawaiian waters.
McCawley, designated for deactivation under the terms of the London Treaty for the Limitation of Naval Armament, decommissioned at San Diego 1 April. Her name was struck from the Navy list, 13 August 1930, and her bulk was scrapped and sold at auction 2 September 1931.