Skip to main content
Related Content
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

(DM-32: dp. 2,200; l. 376'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 18'10"; s. 34 k.; cpl. 363; a. 6 5", 12 40mm.; cl. Robert H. Smith)

Eugene E. Lindsey, born in Sprague, Wash., 2 July 1905, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1927. After duty in Nevada (BB-36) and Saratoga (CV-3) he completed flight training in 1929, and served with a bombing squadron in Lexington (CV-2) and an observation squadron in Maryland (BB-46). From 3 June 1940 he commanded a torpedo squadron in Enterprise (CV-6).

Lindsey was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for brilliantly successful leadership of his squadron in attacks on Kwajalein and Wotje in the Marshalls 1 February 1942. He gave his life in action 4 June 1942 in the Battle of Midway; in which his squadron played a valiant and selfless role, pressing home their attack through merciless antiaircraft fire. He was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross for his important contribution to this great American victory.

Lindsey (DM-32) was laid down as DD-771 12 September 1943 by Bethlehem Steel Co., San Pedro, Calif.; launched 5 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Eugene E. Lindsey, widow of Lt. Comdr. Lindsey; reclassified DM32 19 July 1944; and commissioned 20 August 1944, Comdr. T. D. Chambers in command.

After shakedown off southern California, the new destroyer minelayer sailed from San Francisco 25 November 1944 via Pearl Harbor for Ulithi, arriving 3 February 1945. Underway from Ulithi the morning of 8 February, Lindsey steamed toward Iwo Jima. Operating off Iwo 17 to 19 February, Lindsey knocked out six enemy guns ashore and provided covering fire as minesweepers cleared the harbor. On the 23d she returned to Ulithi to prepare for landings on Okinawa.

Underway 19 March, Lindsey arrived off Okinawa 24 March and swept the harbor for the inbound transports. Then as the marines gained a foothold, the ship bombarded Japanese gun installations and transferred wounded soldiers to hospital ships. On the afternoon of 12 April, Lindsey experienced a mass kamikaze attack. Her gunners scored repeated hits on seven onrushing dive bombers, but two "Vals," damaged and out of control, crashed Lindsey killing 57 sailors and wounding 57 more. The explosion from the second "Val" ripped some 60 feet off her bow. Only the "all back full" ordered by Commander Chambers prevented the pressure of inrushing water from collapsing the fireroom bulkhead and sinking the ship.

Towed to Kerama Retto the same night, Lindsey remained in the lagoon for 2 weeks repairing battle damage. On 28 April she departed under tow for Guam, where, after arrival 6 May, she received a temporary bow. She sailed under her own power 8 July for the east coast via Pearl Harbor and the Panama Canal, arriving Norfolk 19 August 1945.

After extensive repairs at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Lindsey steamed 6 March 1946 for Charleston, S.C., and arrived the next day. Lindsey decommissioned 25 May 1946 and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. She is berthed at Philadelphia into 1969.

Lindsey received two battle stars for World War II

Published: Wed Jul 29 06:49:49 EDT 2015