(DD-138: dp. 1,154; l. 314'5"; b. 31'9"; dr. 9'; s. 35 k.; cpl. 113; a. 4 4", 2 3-pdrs., 1 1-pdr., 12 21" tt.; cl. Wickes)
William W. Kennison, born 28 February 1828 in Massachusetts, was appointed Acting Master's Mate 28 August 1861. During the Civil War be was promoted to Volunteer Lieutenant for gallant conduct in action between the CSS Merrimac and the USS Cumberland 7 March 1862. Following the war, he was honorably discharged 4 May 1866, but was reappointed Acting Master 20 August 1866. His final muster out date was 16 November 1868.
Kennison (Destroyer No. 138) was launched 8 June 1918 by the Mare Island Navy Yard, Vallejo, Calif.; sponsored by Miss Elizabeth Riner; and commissioned 2 April 1919, Comdr. R. P. Enrich in command.
Following completion, shakedown, and acceptance trials, Kennison arrived San Diego, her home port, 25 March 1920. During the summer she engaged in experimental torpedo and antiaircraft exercises. The destroyer continued coastal operations and tactical exercises until 12 August 1921 when she put into San Diego with 50 percent complement. She decommissioned at San Diego 22 June 1922.
Recommissioned 18 December 1939, Lt. W. G. Michelet in command, Kennison joined the Neutrality Patrol out of San Diego 6 May 1940. From June to September she engaged in reserve training cruises before rejoining the Neutrality Patrol 14 October. The destroyer continued patrol operations along the West Coast until the United States entered World War II. As the war effort increased in early 1942, Kennison intensified her ASW operations including escort of convoys and submarines to various California ports until 22 September 1944 when she sailed for Bremerton to undergo conversion.
Redesignated AG-83, Kennison returned to San Diego 9 November 1944 to resume service. For the rest of the war she operated out of San Diego as a target ship for plane exercises with aerial torpedoes. These exercises, provided invaluable training to Navy pilots preparing for combat. Following the war Kennison sailed for the East Coast, arriving Norfolk late October. She decommissioned 21 November 1945 at Portsmouth, Va. She was sold 18 November 1946 to Luria Bros. & Co., Inc., Philadelphia, Pa., and scrapped.