(dp. 4,902; l. 412'; b. 51'; dr. 25'3"; s. 12 k.; a. 1.5"; 1 3")
The capital of Hawaii.
The first Honolulu was built as Itasca by Armstrong Whitworth Ltd., Newcastle, England, in 1905. She was taken over by Resolution of Congress 12 June 1917; transferred to USSB ownership and assigned to Army service. Although she operated as a U.S. cargo transport with Navy crew, there is no record of her commissioning. The name was changed to Honolulu 26 July 1918. Her service included cargo cruises between the United States and various French ports. Navy personnel were released in March 1919 and she was rejected for further service 2 April 1919. Honolulu was returned to the USSB and sold 26 January 1920. Her name was later changed to Commercial Trader.
Published: Mon Jul 20 08:24:48 EDT 2015