(AP-30: dp. 21,900 limiting; l. 535'; b. 72'; dr. 3l'3" ; s. 16 k.; a. 1 5", 4 3")
An Army name retained.
Henry T. Allen (AP-30) was launched as an Army transport under the Shipping Board in 1920 by New York Shipbuilding Corporation, Camden, New Jersey. Completed in 1921 as Wenatchee, she was operated by Pacific Steamship Co. until November 1922, and renamed President Jefferson. She then operated for and was purchased by Admiral Oriental Line. The ship was laid up in Seattle in 1938, and was purchased by the Army in October 1940. Renamed Henry T. Allen by the Army, the ship was then acquired by the Navy 6 December 1941 and placed in partial commission for conversion to Navy use at Moore Dry Dock Co., Oakland, Oalif. Henry T. Allen commissioned in full 22 April 1942, Captain P. A. Stevens commanding.
After completion of outfitting, Henry T. Allen made one troop carrying voyage to Honolulu and return. Arriving San Diego 18 June 1942, she took part in amphibious landing exercises until August, helping to mold the potent American assault forces which would be a decisive factor in the Pacific war. The ship sailed 22 August via the Canal Zone for Norfolk, where she arrived 11 September for more landing training on the Maryland coast.
Henry T. Allen was to take part in cross-ocean invasion, Operation Torch. The ship departed 23 October for North Africa as part of the Northern Attack Force, serving as flagship for transports in that phase of the operation. The force arrived off Mehedia, near strategic Port Lyautey, 7 November and Henry T. Allen began that morning to unload her Army troops from the transport area. She remained off the beaches occasionally subjected to fire from shore batteries until 15 November. She then helped consolidate the successful landing by mooring at Casablanca to unload cargo. The transport sailed 17 November and arrived Norfolk the 30th.
Following the important North Africa landings, during which much was learned about amphibious operations, Henry T. Allen was assigned to the Pacific, a theater in which amphibious assaults were to play a central role. Carrying Marines, she sailed 17 December and arrived Tutuila, Samoa group, via the Canal Zone, 13 January 1943. The ship also transported troops to Noumea and Espiritu Santo and while at the latter port 1 February 1943 was redesignated an attack transport, APA-15.
Until March 1944 Henry T. Allen operated between New Guinea and Australian ports, carrying both American and Australian troops in support of the Allied offensive in New Guinea and the Solomons. She made many passages through the dangerous waters of the Coral Sea, and on one occasion, 13 July 1943 detected a torpedo track approaching her port bow. Alert action brought the transport around and out of danger, the torpedo passing a scant 50 yards ahead.
Henry T. Allen sailed from Buna 26 March for training exercises on Goodenough Island with the U.S. 24th Division, completing 16 April. The ship then got underway 17 April for the important Hollandia operation, the joint attack on Central New Guinea. Henry T. Allen joined Admiral Barbey's group for the landings at Tanahmerah Bay 22 April and after their success was assured steamed to Cape Sudest, New Guinea, 24 April. The ship spent the next few weeks transporting troops into Hollandia to consolidate gains and prepare for the next step in the westward advance toward the Philippines. Henry T. Allen anchored at Aitape 15 May to load troops for the Wakde-Sarmi landings, and got underway the next day for a run of 120 miles undetected by the Japanese. Under a brisk naval bombardment the transport unloaded on the 17th and returned to Hollandia.
The veteran transport spent the rest of her career as a flagship for various amphibious commands. Until September 1944 she performed training exercises on Bougainville and New Guinea, and after a voyage to Queensland, Australia, arrived Hollandia 3 October 1944. There she received additional equipment and supplies to allow her to better perform her headquarters function. Henry T. Allen remained at Hollandia until January 1945 as the administrative base of the famous 7th Amphibious Force. She shifted her base to Leyte Gulf as American forces swept north and west, arriving 28 January 1945.
After the final surrender of Japan Henry T. Allen steamed to Manila 3 September and departed for the United States 15 November. She arrived 10 December 1945, decommissioned 5 February 1946, and was redelivered to the War Department. After a period in reserve at Suisun Bay, she was sold to Boston Metals Co., Baltimore, Md., and scrapped in March 1948.