(AM-74: dp. 410; l. 124'3"; b. 23'; dr. 10'8"; s. 9 k; a. 13")
A long-winged, usually white, web-footed swimming bird having the lower mandible hooked.
Gull (AM-74), formerly trawler Boston College, was built by the Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, in 1928; acquired 30 August 1940; converted at the Boston Yards of the Bethlehem Steel Corp. 30 September 1940; and commissioned 3 December 1940, Lt. Comdr. Ernest L. Posey, USNR, in command.
Attached to the Inshore Patrol, Gull conducted mine-sweeping operations in Massachusetts Bay until 28 March 1941 when she sailed for Norfolk via Yorktown. Homeported at Norfolk 6 April-26 August 1941, she operated along the Atlantic coast as far north as Boston until sailing the latter date for Argentia, Newfoundland, where she put in 4 September. Gull continued her exacting duties as a minesweeper at Argentia until the summer of 1944, calling at Boston for repairs as needed.- She decommissioned at Quincy, Mass., 25 July 1944.- Stricken, from the Navy List 22 August 1944, she was transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 15 May 1946.