In Greek mythology, one of the Gorgons.
Euryale (AS-22) was built in 1941 by Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Kearny, N.J., as Hawaiian Merchant; acquired by the Navy 15 April 1943; and commissioned 2 December 1943, Captain H. A. Guthrie in command.
Euryale reached Brisbane, Australia, from New York 5 March 1944, and after loading provisions and supplies, sailed for Milne Bay, New Guinea. There between 14 March and 26 May, Euryale refitted submarines and repaired surface ships. At Manus from 28 May to 11 August, she established a forward base and rest camp for submariners, clearing the island, constructing buildings and at the same time refitting 26 submarines.
The submarine tender returned to Brisbane 16 August 1944 to load passengers, torpedoes, ammunition, and general cargo, and with this load arrived at Fremantle 28 August. She tended submarines there until 11 April 1945, then at Pearl Harbor until 16 August. On 28 August, Euryale arrived at Guam to develop a submarine base and rest camp, and on 16 September sailed for Okinawa and Sasebo. Until 12 January 1946, Euryale worked with Japanese submarines, maintaining them and preparing them for disposal. She crossed the Pacific to Pearl Harbor with a salvage ship and two Japanese submarines, one of which she towed for the last leg of the passage, then continued on alone to San Francisco, where she arrived 22 February. She was decommissioned and placed in reserve 7 October 1946.