(DD-326: dp. 1,190; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'10"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 95; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" tt.; cl. Clemson)
Joseph Bulloch Coghlan, born at Frankfort, Ky., 9 December 1844, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1863. He served in Sacramento during the Civil War and led the expedition which captured the batteries at Cavite (2 May 1898) and at Isla Grande, Subic Bay (7 July) during the Spanish-American War. He was promoted to Rear Admiral in 1902 and died at New Rochelle, N.Y., 5 December 1908.
The first Coghlan (DD-326) was launched 16 June 1920 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., San Francisco, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. G. Coghlan; and commissioned 31 March 1921, Lieutenant (junior grade) C. Hupp in command.
Coghlan arrived at Charleston, S.C., 28 December 1921 for operations in East Coast and Caribbean waters. Coghlan took part in the funeral ceremonies for President Warren G. Harding at Washington. (7-9 August 1923) and served as a plane guard in the North Atlantic (24 July-6 September 1924) during the Army's round the-world flight.
From 18 June 1925 to 11 July 1926 she served with U.S. Naval Forces Europe in the Mediterranean protecting American interests. The destroyer returned to her cruising along the east coast and in the Caribbean, served as an exhibition vessel at the Philadelphia SesquiCentennial Exposition during the summer of 1926, cruised with the Special Service Squadron off Nicaragua (3 February-31 March 1927), and took part in the Presidential Fleet Review, in Hampton Roads, 4 June 1927. She was decommissioned at Philadelphia 1 May 1930, and sold for scrapping 17 January 1931 under terms of treaties limiting naval armaments.