(DD-329: dp. 1215; l. 314'4"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'10"; s. 33 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 13", 12 21" TT.; cl. Clemson)
Born in Grand Island, Nebr., 20 August 1870, Frank Bruce entered the Navy as a Boatswain 6 February 1911 and was commissioned a Lieutenant (temporary) 1 July 1918. He commanded Bobolink (AM-20) during the North Sea Mine Barrage Sweep and was dilled when a mine exploded 17 May 1919.
Bruce (DD-329) was launched 20 May 1920 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., San Francisco, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. Annie Bruce, widow of Lieutenant Bruce; and commissioned 29 September 1920. Lieutenant Commander G. N. Reeves., Jr., in command.
Bruce operated out of San Diego during her first year of service on engineering, gunnery, and torpedo exercises, and maneuvered with Squadron 5, Pacific Fleet. In November 1921 her home yard was changed to Boston and she reported to Division 27, Scouting Fleet. Her schedule of employment during succeeding years was the established routine of practice and fleet maneuvers. In December 1924 her commanding officer also assumed command of Destroyer Division 27. Her home yard was changed from Boston to Norfolk Navy Yard in June 1925. On 17 June, with her division, she sailed for duty with U.S. Naval Forces, Europe. During the next year, naval forces operating in European waters cooperated with the State Department as a stabilizing influence in troubled regions and as security for American citizens living in these areas.
Upon her return to Norfolk Navy Yard she operated along the eastern seaboard and in Cuban and Haitian waters until March 1927. In March she participated in the Fleet Tactical Problem held at Colon, C.Z., followed by the Fleet concentration along the Atlantic coast. During that summer she made training cruises with Naval Reservists along the northeastern seaboard. During 1928 and 1929 she continued to participate in fleet maneuvers and exercises along the east coast. In September 1929 Bruce put in at Philadelphia Navy Yard, where on 1 May 1930, she was decommissioned. She was later towed to Norfolk Navy Yard where she was used for experimental strength tests, before scrapping. Her salvage metal was sold in August 1932.
28 November 2005