Edward Berry (1768-1831) joined the Royal Navy as a volunteer and was appointed lieutenant for gallantry in battle. As a junior officer he served under Horatio Nelson who commended him; he was later knighted for his command of Nelson's flagship at the Battle of the Nile. His later service included blockade duty in the Mediterranean and command of ship of the line Agamemnon at Trafalgar. Berry earned three medals and a baronetcy for his performance of duty in major fleet actions and was made a Knight Commander of the Bath in 1815 before retiring as a rear admiral.
(BDE-3: dp. 1,140; l. 289'5"; b. 35'2"; dr. 11'0"; s. 21.5 k. (tl.); cpl. 198; a. 3 3", 4 40mm., 9 20mm., 4 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.), 2 dct.; cl. Evarts)
Berry (BDE-3) was laid down on 22 September 1942 by the Boston Navy Yard; allocated to the United Kingdom under lend lease; launched on 23 November 1942; given the Royal Navy pendant number K.312; and commissioned on 15 March 1943.
During World War II, the ship operated in the Atlantic Ocean and the Bay of Biscay in 1943 and 1944. After the war, Berry was returned to the U.S. Navy at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard on 2 February 1946. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1946, and she was sold to the North American Smelting Co., of Philadelphia. That firm took possession of her on 9 November 1946 and completed her scrapping on 4 November 1948.
Robert J. Cressman
15 February 2006