Regulus I (AK-14)
(AK-14: displacement 10,550 (full load); length 391''9"; beam 52'2"; draft 24'; speed 11.5 knots; complement 48; armament 2 5", 4 3"; class Regulus)
A star of the first magnitude in the constellation Leo.
The first Regulus, built as Glenora in 1920 by the Bethlehem Steel Co., Wilmington, Del., was acquired by the Navy from the War Shipping Board 7 November 1921. In reserve for almost two decades, she was commissioned in ordinary 8 August 1940, Comdr. James Doyle in command.
Commissioned in full at New York 14 December 1940, Regulus steamed via the West Coast to Pearl Harbor, her homeport from February 1941 through the end of World War II. Assigned to the 14th Naval District, she carried supplies to Wake and Midway islands until the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. At Midway on 7 December 1941, Regulus returned to Pearl Harbor on the 14th, then sailed to the West Coast, whence, through May, she carried cargo to Hawaii. After the Battle of Midway in early June, she resumed resupply runs to that island and continued them until September 1943. Assigned then to ServRon 8, she operated among the Samoan and Ellice Islands until she resumed west coast-Hawaii cargo runs in April 1944.
After the invasion of the Philippines, Regulus again carried cargo westward. On 21 November, she arrived at Eniwetok, whence she continued on to Ulithi. Arriving 30 November, she moved on to Manus in mid-January 1945 and returned to the Carolines at the end of the month. Remaining at Ulithi into May, she sailed for the Philippines on the 20th. She anchored off Leyte on the 25th and 2 weeks later got underway for Okinawa, where she conducted cargo operations for the remainder of the war and into the fall of 1945. On 26 November she sailed east, arriving at San Francisco and reporting for inactivation 8 January 1946. Decommissioned 25 March, she was struck from the Navy list 17 April; transferred to the Maritime Commission 1 July; and sold for scrap to the Kaiser Co., on 29 September 1947.
23 September 2005