Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Maria A. Wood

(SchGbt: t 344; l. 125'; b. 28'6"; dr. 91; a. 2 32‑pdrs.)

The wooden sailing vessel Maria A. Wood was purchased at Philadelphia 21 September 1861 and commissioned there 19 November 1861, Master Anthony Chase in command.

Assigned to the West Gulf Blockading Squadron, Maria A. Wood arrived Fort Pickens, Pensacola 17 December 1861 to assume patrol duties in the gulf. In West Pass early in 1862, she participated in the Union occupation of Pensacola 10 May. She was ordered to Santa Rosa Island 5 September to blockade East Pass, to the mouth of the Mississippi in early November, and to Horn Island Pass in late November.

In January 1863, she was ordered to Philadelphia for repairs. Returning to the West Gulf Blockading Squadron in 1864, she operated off New Orleans, Pensacola, and Mobile Bay into 1865. She removed obstructions in Blakely Channel and Spanish River, near Mobile, in April 1865 and remained in the gulf squadron after its cutback in October.

Maria A. Wood sailed north early in 1866, decommissioned 22 August and was sold at New York to W. H. Allen 6 September 1806.

Published: Wed Aug 05 15:22:29 EDT 2015