Hazelwood I (Destroyer No. 107)
(DD-107: dp. 1,060 t.; l. 314'5" ; b. 31.9" ; dr. 8'6" ; s. 35 k.; cpl. 113; a. 4 4", 2 1-pdrs., 12 21" tt.; cl. Wickes)
John Hazelwood, born in England in 1726, was appointed to superintend the building of fire rafts for the protection of Philadelphia against the British during the Revolutionary War. A commissioned officer in the Pennsylvania Navy, Commodore Hazelwood commanded all units of the Pennsylvania and Continental navies participating in the defense of the Delaware River approaches to Philadelphia in 1777. His gunboats and galleys engaged British men-of-war 23 October near river obstructions; and, after the British frigate Merlin and ship of the line Augusta grounded, their crews were forced to burn them. Later Commodore Hazelwood took command of Continental vessels in Delaware Bay. In recognition of his services in the War for Independence, the Continental Congress voted him a handsome sword, now in the collection of the Naval Historical Foundation. Commodore Hazelwood died at Philadelphia 1 March 1800.
The first Hazelwood (Destroyer No. 107) was laid down 24 December 1917 by Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif., launched 22 June 1918; sponsored by Miss Marian L. Neitzel; and commissioned 20 February 1919, Comdr. A. A. Corwin in command.
Following shakedown and a voyage to Norfolk for supplies, Hazelwood departed New York for the Mediterranean 15 April 1919. Reaching Gibraltar 9 May, she participated in training exercises and served as escort to Arizona (BB-39). After cruising the Mediterranean and sailing into the Black Sea for a port visit to Sebastapol (the French and British had forces in the Crimea owing to the Russian Civil War), she departed Malta 28 July and arrived New York 13 August. Next day she got underway for her new home waters, the Pacific. Sailing via Cuba and Panama, she arrived San Francisco 5 September. After operations along the West Coast, she decommissioned at San Diego 7 July 1922.
Hazelwood recommissioned 1 April 1925, and participated in training and readiness exercises with units of the Pacific Fleet for the next 5 years. She decommissioned again 15 November 1930, at San Diego, was sold to Learner and Rosenthal 30 August 1935, and was scrapped 14 April 1930.
2 November 2005