(SlpW: t. 700; l. 127'; b. 33'9"; dph. 15'6"; dr. 16'6"; cpl. 190; a. 4 8", 2424 pdr.)
Towns in 14 States, and counties in three States.
The first Fairfield, a sloop-of-war, was launched 28 June 1828 by New York Navy Yard; and first put to sea 20 August 1828, Commander F. A. Parker in command.
Reaching Port Mahon in the Balearic Islands 25 September 1828, Fairfield cruised the Mediterranean to protect American commerce and strengthen diplomatic relations until returning to Hampton Roads 5 May 1831. Her second cruise, from 15 November 1831 to 23 July 1832, was in the West Indies as flagship for Commodore J. D. Elliott. During much of this time she patrolled off the coast of Mexico to protect Americans and their property during political disturbances.
On 30 May 1833 Fairfield sailed from New York for duty in the Pacific Squadron, arriving at Valparaiso, Chile, 25 September. During this cruise, she supervised the disarmament and dismantling of a group of ships belonging to an Ecuadorian revolutionary force after American mediation had ended a civil war. Fairfield sailed for Norfolk 26 September 1835, arriving in Hampton Roads 1 December. She lay in ordinary at Norfolk until 25 April 1837, when she departed for the Brazil Station, the first 4 months of which her commanding officer was senior officer of the squadron. Again in her vital role of protector for American commerce and interests, she guarded against harm from internal dissensions in South American countries, as well as from a blockade of Argentina set by French warships.
Returning to New York 1 April 1840, Fairfield was again in ordinary until 10 May 1841, when she was recommissioned. She sailed to Hampton Roads, from which she took departure 28 July for the Mediterranean, carrying Commodore C. W. Morgan to take command of the squadron based on Port Mahon. She served as his flagship from April to July 1842 while he conducted negotiations with the Emperor of Morocco to obtain redress for the arrest and detention of the United States Consul at Tangier.
Fairfield returned to Hampton Roads from this, her last cruise, 17 January 1845, and on 3 February 1845 was decommissioned at Norfolk. Later that year she served briefly as receiving ship, then lay at Norfolk until 1852, when she was broken up.