The Blue Angels
After World War II, Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz formed the U.S. Navy Flight Exhibition Team to expand and promote the public’s interest in aviation and the missions of the Navy. The team performed its first exhibition at Craig Field in Jacksonville, Florida in June 1946. However, the first use of the name “Blue Angels" occurred in July 1946 at a show in Omaha, Nebraska. Just a year later, the team began flying its famous diamond formation that is still used to this day. The type of aircraft flown by the team has changed over the years and has included the F6F Hellcat, F8F Bearcat, F9F-2/5 Panther, F9F-6/8 Cougar, F-11 Tiger, F-4 Phantom II, A-4 Skyhawk, F/A-18 Hornet, and F/A-18E Super Hornet. Through the team’s flight demonstrations and community outreach, the Blue Angels inspire excellence, service to country and draw attention to the teamwork of the Navy and Marine Corps.