Naval History and Heritage Command

National Museum of the U.S. Navy

Tags
Related Content

Tingey House (Quarters A)

According to Benjamin Latrobe’s plan for the Yard, the Commandant’s House (now known as the Tingey House, or Quarters A) was the second set of quarters to be built.     Built probably by Lovering and Dyer of Washington in 1804, the Georgian-style house has been renovated numerous times giving it a Victorian look.   One of the distinguishing features is its five-bay wide and three-bay deep windows in front of the original building.   The house is named in honor of Captain Thomas Tingey, the first Commandant of the Washington Navy Yard, who first resided in the building in 1812 until his death in 1829.     During the War of 1812 and the subsequent burning of Washington, D.C. by the British, it was one of only three locations that survived the fires set by Americans to thwart the enemy.    In 1973, the house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places due to its significant contribution to the cultural history and visual beauty of the District of Columbia.   Since 1977, Tingey House has been the official residence of the Chief of Naval Operations.  

Image:  19-N-24-2-17:   Tingey House, (right), Washington Navy Yard, circa 1900.    Note, Latrobe Gate to to the left.   Official U.S. Bureau of Ships Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives.  

To learn more about Tingey House, please contact our Education Department for a spot on the next Walking Tour of the Washington Navy Yard.