Naval History and Heritage Command

National Museum of the U.S. Navy

Washington Navy Yard

 

Initially a storage and shipbuilding facility, the Washington Navy Yard (WNY) has served the U.S. Navy for more than two centuries and is its oldest shore establishment.  The Yard became a heavy industrial plant, concentrating on the development, construction, and testing of naval guns.  It later became a major administrative center.   Following World War II, its name was changed to Naval Gun Factory, then to Naval Weapons Plant in 1959.  Within a few years in 1962, the Department of Defense shifted from Government-owned production facilities and the name reverted to Washington Navy Yard. 

 

The Washington Navy Yard now serves as a ceremonial and administrative center of the U.S. Navy.  Home to the Chief of Naval OperationsNaval Sea Systems Command, Naval Reactors, Naval Facilities Engineering Command, U.S. Naval Judge Advocate General's Corps, and the U.S. Navy Band, the location also is the home for the Naval History and Heritage Command, the National Museum of the U.S. Navy, and the Cold War Gallery

 

This online exhibit is used in tandem with the museum's Education Department's Walking Tour of the Washington Navy Yard. 

 

Image:  170302-N-AG722-110:   Aerial view of the historic Washington Navy Yard.    The WNY is the "Quarterdeck of the Navy" and serves as the headquarters of Naval District Washington, where it houses numerous support activities for the fleet and aviation communities.  Photographed by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class John Belanger, March 2, 2017.  Official U.S. Navy Photograph.  

 

*Note, this section is a work in progress