Quarters B is the oldest of the officer’s quarters at the Washington Navy Yard and was the residence of the second officer of the Yard. Conflicting reports on its construction but sources suggest it may have been built by Lovering and Dyer between 1801 and 1802. Along with Tingey House and Latrobe Gate, it escaped being burned during the British Invasion of Washington D.C. in 1814. In 1836, piazzas were added to the building. In 1973, Quarters B was listed on the National Register of Historic Places due to its significant contribution to the cultural heritage and visual beauty of the District of Columbia.
Image: NH 90705: Quarters B, Washington Navy Yard, pre-WWI. East side of Leutze Park, Washington Navy Yard, District of Columbia. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.
To learn more about Quarters B, please contact our Education Department for a spot on the next Walking Tour of the Washington Navy Yard.