Named after Rear Admiral Eugene H. C. Leutze, Commandant of the Yard from 1905-1910, who directed the expansion of ordnance and weapons production following the United States’ success in the Spanish-American War in 1898. Following redevelopments at the yard and restriction of traffic around the area, the park has become the Ceremonial Quarterdeck of the U.S. Navy and utilized as the parade ground for formal affairs and ceremonies. Among the early bronze and iron guns on display in the park include an anchor from USS Enterprise (CV-6) and a bell from USS Mitscher (DL-2, later DDG-35), named in honor of noted naval aviator, Vice Admiral Marc Mitscher, USN, who led Task Force 58 during the Battle of the Philippine Sea in June 1944.
Image: 090618-N-0388K-072: Leutze Park, Washington Navy Yard, 2009. The U.S. Navy and Marine Corps Ceremonial Guards present colors at the official swearing in ceremony for Secretary of the Navy, the Honorable Ray Mabus. Photographed by Mass Communications Specialists 2nd Class Erin Kerby. Official U.S. Navy Photograph.
To learn more about Leutze Park, please contact our Education Department for a spot on the next Walking Tour of Washington Navy Yard.